
TORONTO – ccNSO Council Meeting
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 – 16:00 to 17:00
ICANN - Toronto, Canada

LESLEY COWLEY: Okay, let's start, because either way we seem to have an impossibly long agenda for the Council meeting. If I can get you to order that would be cool. Welcome to the ccNSO Council Meeting. We're just trying to dial in Dotty, who I'm afraid has had some terrible travel problems and wasn't very well at one point as well, so I know she's hoping to join us via the phone.

But rather than wait too long, we'll make a start. So I have apologies today from Victor Abboud, Peter Van Roste, and Han Chuan, and possibly by Dotty.

[background conversation]

LESLEY COWLEY: She's on her way. Okay, excellent. So can I take you first to the minutes and actions from the last meeting, please? I ought to firstly check for accuracy. Does anyone have any comments on accuracy or otherwise of the minutes? Fine, that's good. Okay, I'll take those a matter of the record then. Gabbie could you run us through any actions from those minutes?

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

GABRIELLA SCHITTEK: We have action 77-01: Peter Van Roste and Bart Boswinkel to continue the discussions with the GAC Chair, Heather Dryden regarding a ccNSO/GAC panel discussion in Toronto or Beijing. The session is done, but Bart would you like to say something?

BART BOSWINKEL: We post phoned that action after Beijing because at this meeting we had for the first time, again, a new format with a double presentation by SIDN and the Dutch government and then we'd take it up for the next meeting to come up with maybe another format.

LESLEY COWLEY: Thank you Bart.

GABRIELLA SCHITTEK: We have action 77-02: Councilors from the North American region to as possible put forward a candidate for the Council election and this has been done. Then we have Action 77-03: Gabriella Schitteck to share with the draft ccNSO Members Meeting agenda with the Council as soon as a majority of the items had been confirmed. That's done. Action 77-04: Keith Davison to confer with Vika Mpisane on the recent ccNSO related public comment requests and share the information on the Council email list. Counsel Vika, would you like to say something?

DOTTY SPARKS DE BLANC: I just picked up.



LESLEY COWLEY: Hi Dotty. Do we have a new Councilor with you?

DOTTY SPARKS DE BLANC: Do I have what? I'm sorry. Say that again.

LESLEY COWLEY: That's alright Dotty. We've only just started. And we're just on the actions from the previous minutes.

DOTTY SPARKS DE BLANC: Oh, okay.

LESLEY COWLEY: So Vika or Keith do you have anything to say about these actions?

DOTTY SPARKS DE BLANC: You're asking me?

VIKA MPISANE: Oh, I think that later in the list are the public comment processes, which is quite lengthy. Somebody told me it was the longest email of this meeting so far. So I won't say anything more, and let's address the questions to that. I don't want to have to address those topics again. If I must, I will do it.

LESLEY COWLEY: Okay. So Vika is referring to a email we sent to the Council — a very incredibly long email — mostly because there's an incredibly long list of



public comment periods opening at the moment. I think we need some time to read and digest that one. And perhaps we should deal with that on the email list I suggest. It's rather difficult to explain it to everyone who read and thought about that within this short time period. Okay with everybody? Alright, thank you.

GABRIELLA SCHITTEK:

And then we have action 77-05: The Secretariat to confirm the date and time for the ccNSO Council meeting with the ALAC in Toronto. That's done. Action 77-06: The Secretariat to confirm the arrangements for ccNSO Council preparatory to a meeting in Toronto. That's done.

LESLEY COWLEY:

Okay. Thank you very much, Gabbie. Anything else that we've missed from our previous action, anyone? Nope, excellent. Okay let's move on to the update section. For those you who've not observed a Council meeting before we have a relatively new addition to the agenda, where we share updates on actions that have taken place or people we've met with between meetings.

If I can start as Chair, obviously not very long since our last telephone discussion, but since then, along with everyone else I've been preparing for this meeting. I met with our new NomCom Councilor, who'll be joining us after the end of this meeting, which is Mary Wong. As part of her induction to the Council, she met with the Secretariat earlier this week and also with me. She would have liked to have been with us today, but she's currently on the GNSO Council and it's her very final meeting, which is taking place right now.



I also met with Steve Croker to discuss ccNSO matters generally. And there was a meeting with Fadi, but that's been post phoned by both of us at least once I think. And I think we're probably going to pick up at Nominet after this meeting to again try to start his induction to understand more about the ccNSO and how we work and also how ccTLDs are working, how we're all different.

Earlier this week your Council met with the ALAC. I think that's the first time we've had an ALAC and ccNSO meeting that I'm aware of. And some work went into the preparation for that meeting, which you would expect.

If I'm looking tired, it's because I started at 7:00 this morning, which seems like a bad time for a meeting. But this was a meeting with SO and AC leaders on the effect of gTLDs on the ICANN structure. Now there was a desire to schedule a broad community meeting on that here in Toronto; it wouldn't work on the schedule. So this early breakfast meeting was an initial discussion on how the new participants coming through the new gTLD process would affect ICANN structure and processes.

I have to say that almost everybody there was talking about the effect on the GNSO structure. So I was one of the few people who spoke about the effect on the rest of the community, the need for some thoughts about how processes might need to change, how communication might need to improve, and so on. But that complication will no doubt continue. I think there's a plan to have a big session on that in Beijing.



And later this week I will be meeting with Ray Plzak, who is the SIC Chair. I forget what that is now, Structural Improvement. To talk about the final recommendations from the ccNSO review, which are on our agenda for later actually. And we're also going to talk about the next ccNSO review. Not only do we just finish one than another one comes around, it feels. But that's my week and I hand over to Vice Chair, Byron. Where'd he go? Oh, hello. I'm surrounded by Vice Chairs; I've just realized, like bookends.

BYRON HOLLAND:

Most of the activities that I've been engaged in are around the Finance Working Group, so I'll speak to them specifically when we do the report from the working groups. But they include having met with Xavier in the summer, subsequent to the Prague meeting. A Finance Working Group face to face this past Sunday as well as a conference call last month.

And I was also at the CENTR GA meeting two to three weeks back, which had an interesting additional day, which was comprised mainly CEOs and a number of the CENTR members on a discussion about the overall environment in industry and the impact on our organization. So it was a very interesting meeting as well as the CENTR GA itself. Those are the two real activities that I've been involved in recently.

LESLEY COWLEY:

Thank you Byron. Keith?



KEITH DAVIDSON:

Thanks Lesley. I think the two major activities I've been engaged in outside of this very meeting room have been meeting with Terek Kamel, new ICANN Staff member, and the lead staffer for the WCIT process and probably the processes following on from WCIT and their international engagement. So I think our questions to the Board on the topic of WCIT there was a little bit of behind the scenes work to have a proper response this time and it was forthcoming and talking to outsiders from our community about presentations on the WCIT panel and so on.

Also I've met with a number of different groups who had interests in delegations and re-delegations in various forms. Again, I never provide advice in that role. I'm the Chair of the FOI Working Group and can point them to documents and decisions, but it's beyond the scope of my role there and it's beyond the scope of working group to provide advice to individual delegation or redelegation requestors or existing holders under redelegation requests. That's been about it from me. Thanks Lesley.

LESLEY COWLEY:

Okay, thank you, Keith. Let's move to Councilors. Dotty, would you like to start? Is there anything to update Council members on, please?

DOTTY SPARKS DE BLANC:

Well, I've been working on the FOI Working Group and that is Keith's; he's the head of that project. And I guess there will be a separate report on that as well as the Capacity Working Group. Also on the Travel Funding Group and I hope there hasn't been a decision in my



absence because I have some ideas about it that haven't been put on the table. And that's what I've been doing.

LESLEY COWLEY: Thank you Dotty. And we wouldn't dare to table any Travel Committee decisions in your absence, so rest assured we've not done that. Let me move on around the table, Holly, if I start with you.

HOLLY RAICHE: Okay. I attended the session Universal Acceptance of All TLDs; most of the time was spent talking about IDNs. ICANN is now doing the project on two fronts, one is Technical Solutions, so all of the TLD operators, especially IDN and TLD providers should diligently test whether their TLD is interoperable with primary application software, such as email, browser, search engine and including some Apple or Google apps. That will really make the TLD implementable in reality.

On the other hand ICANN is assimilating communication and a cooperation between the DNS industry and the software community to make sure these two communities are working together to make the TLDs even ASCII scripts or IDN scripts really working for users. Thank you.

LESLEY COWLEY: Thank you. And Anders?

ANDERS RAFTING: Yes, I guess the only update I have is for the Capacity Study Group, but I will save my update for the next session.



LESLEY COWLEY: Excellent, thank you. Hiro?

HIRO HOTTA: I have nothing special to tell you.

LESLEY COWLEY: Thank you. Vika?

VIKA MPISANE: I attended the presentation of ICANN Strategy for African on Sunday afternoon. There was supposed to be another meeting, not on the strategy, but on the Johannesburg African Union for African Committee objectives, so I attended this meeting. But this meeting has had to be post phoned until this afternoon. The strategy part of this as is known, would cover the (inaudible) attend.

I don't think they're going to table that, but safe to say that the Africa Strategy part or development part is done. It's been tabled before the GOND, even they've referred to it in the press release, and that African statement is a done deal that is now incorporated in the ICANN strategy priorities.

LESLEY COWLEY: Okay, thank you Vika. Becky?



BECKY BURR: My work has been focused on the Framework of Interpretation Working Group so I'm sure it will get reported on elsewhere.

LESLEY COWLEY: Thank you. Roelof?

ROELOF MEIJER: Thank you Lesley. I am somehow involved in the ccNSO applications. Since Gabbie's doing all the legwork and it's a Council decision, I still have to figure out exactly my [edit] really is apart from reporting here that we had a relatively quiet summer period without any applications. The first application we got after the summer holidays were from Greece and I sent you an email about that roughly a week ago and I asked you if any objections to inform me. I have received no objections, so I think with that we can somehow decide together here. I don't know what time you want to do this, Chair?

LESLEY COWLEY: Let's do that now. So to approve the membership of Greece, we've had no objections, which means they are our 134th ccNSO member. Welcome Greece, way to go. I sat next to him on the coach yesterday. He was very, very keen to be involved.

ROELOF MEIJER: And then subsequently we had two more, .rw from Rwanda. We have been asking them to correct their application because there was something wrong with it. That was some time ago already and now we have repeated the request for corrections and we haven't heard from



them yet. The third one, the most recent one was from .ga Gabon and they are in the process of re-delegations, so we have told them that they will have to find that redelegation and make sure that the IM data are actual and accurate and then we can process the application. That's it. Thank you.

LESLEY COWLEY: Thank you Roelof. Sokol?

SOKOL HAXHIU: I will report later on the Community Outreach Work Session. However, I'd like to share with you some information that I found interesting from the session from Latin American and Caribbean stakeholders engaging in the NOW trades later in the morning. I'm looking and seeing I think some positive steps toward focusing on real outreach. And some of the highlights from that meeting are that increasingly there'll be building a presence more in the Latin American countries.

And then following also the Strategy on Africa draft strategy plan for Latin American is being worked on with concrete action lines. And then a working group for Latin America is being set up to follow those action lines. And moreover what I'm finding an interesting approach is also some comments for perhaps taking a bottom up approach with regards to the global strategic problem of ICANN by focusing first on the regional strategies and then consolidating those regional strategies in the CENTR and I found this comment today interesting and something I think that might really improve the outreach. Thank you.



LESLEY COWLEY: Thank you, Sokol. Young-Eum?

YOUNG-EUM LEE: Thanks. I've been following up on the Names of Countries and Territories Study Group. There was a meeting this Monday but I was delayed, but I will be able to catch up and I'll get an update on that. And I was also involved with Program Working Group with Anders. On a more local level, I gave a presentation on WCIT and the local efforts within Korea to try to try to sort of educate the government. And we are trying to find ways of maybe cooperating with other [agencies] in the region also.

LESLEY COWLEY: Thank you. Margarita?

MARGARITA VALDES: Hello. I was present in the Latin American Caribbean meeting about a kind of strategic plan, a draft that was organized by (Inaudible) to the Latin American and Caribbean liaison for us. And we had a (inaudible), a representative inside the NARALO, (Inaudible): she is a new board member, and Alejandro Pisanty and (Inaudible) of the EURALO, because he couldn't get here.

Fundamentally Fadi gave an order from ICANN in order to see and pay more attention to the Latin American Caribbean region, in particular how to include this kind of a strategic plan that we are talking about and discussing inside of the actual strategic plan of ICANN. So we have a lot



of input and feedback from the community and we are working about this in order to have something in the next year in March.

LESLEY COWLEY: Okay, thank you Margarita. Paulos?

PAULOS NYIRENDA: Just local meetings; nothing special to add.

LESLEY COWLEY: Thank you. Souleymane?

SOULEYMANE OUMTANAGA: Nothing to say. But I attended this one meeting with (inaudible) ccTLD to discuss about .gr litigation and we are continuing to discuss with them and to see how the situation can be mitigated.

LESLEY COWLEY: Okay, thank you very much. Reaching organization, I don't know if you have anything further to add, Carolina? You did. You [made] an authority today. Yes, indeed. Thank you. Okay finally, but by no means least, Bart?

BART BOSWINKEL: I participated yesterday in a panel discussion on... I forgot how it's called. Community Guidance and Advice Processes, focusing on say the need for the Boards to find a process procedure to engage with the community not on the recurring processes of the strat plan and ops plan



at one end or the PDP where they receive the recommendations in a structured manner. It wasn't clear where it's heading right now. So it was just an expression of views and the experiences of the different SOs and ACs and how they deal with the Board requests and whether they have a procedure or don't.

LESLEY COWLEY: Okay. Thank you Bart. Gabbie?

GABRIELLA SCHITTEK: No, nothing's happened.

LESLEY COWLEY: Nothing. Christina?

CHRISTINA RODRIGUEZ: No, nothing. Thank you.

LESLEY COWLEY: Not that you haven't been doing nothing; you've been very busy. Okay, let's move on. Item 4 on our agenda is the progress update on the Council elections. Gabbie?

GABRIELLA SCHITTEK: There will be elections in the Asia Pacific region and in the European region and the elections start 29th of October and end on the 12th of November.



LESLEY COWLEY:

Excellent, thank you. Any questions or comments for Gabbie? Okay, just can we get everyone to vote; that would be wonderful. Let's move on to Item 5 then, ccNSO Statements. So 5.1 was about a statement relating to the GNSO Metrics Working Group, where they were thinking about the advice to ICANN on consumer trust and choice and the metrics for that.

The latest update is they haven't quite finished their thinking, so that's still in draft form. So at this stage we don't have a Council statement to even begin to contemplate. But as soon as that comes out in final form then we will need to think about whether we make a Council statement or a ccNSO statement.

5.2 was the need for a ccNSO statement on ICANN Consolidated Meeting Strategy Proposal. So you may have noticed the meetings department has submitted a public comment proposal on the Consolidated Meeting Strategy of the ICANN Public Meetings. The purpose of the proposal is to advise the community of the issue, particularly those surrounding the current process of selecting locations and to propose an alternative method of doing so.

That closes for comment on the 17th of November and then there's the reply period, which closes on the 7th of December. And in order to meet the 17th of November deadline the ccNSO Council, it's proposed resolution, the ccNSO Council resolved to launch a ccNSO Council Statement procedure. The Secretariat is to seek Council volunteers for the draft meeting as soon as possible and the Council will appoint the members by email vote. Do I have any comments or queries on that



resolution phase? Not the most exciting one we've had. Okay, can I have any votes against? Votes in favor? Excellent, that's passed.

Okay Item 6 on our agenda is the future of the ccTLD Local Events Calendar. So you may remember that some time ago at the request of the community we put a local events calendar on the ccNSO website. And the idea was that that would contain up to date information on local events. But it's not been a great success and keeping up to date has been rather time consuming for the Secretariat, and obviously it's not a great deal of use if it's not up to date.

So the proposal is that community members be enabled to submit relevant events that they want included and for you to be able to update it yourselves, so hopefully it can be I think more up to date on activity area. So you will be provided with a link to community members and we will again put out a call to members to provide information on local events.

And then we'll come back to this at the Beijing meeting and see if that's actually working. Any comments or questions on that one? Okay. Can I have anyone who disagrees with that way forward? Anyone who approves? Excellent, thank you.

Okay, Item 7 is the impact of an ICANN Bylaw Change regarding Board Appointments. This is linked to the Board selection process. Bart, were you going to speak to that?

BART BOSWINKEL:

Yes. I've checked the ccNSO Boards of Action, Procedure and Guidelines, and there is no impact. The bylaw change is that ICANN or



SO/AC members will pick a seat at the annual meeting instead. So to consolidate the appoint of new Board members, the ccNSO Board selection procedure does not look into the moment the Board members are appointed. It ends with the selection of the Board member and then the Board Secretary is informed of the selection, so there is no impact.

LESLEY COWLEY: Okay, thank you. Any questions or comments on that? Alright. Dotty I can't see your hand of course, so I'm going to assume that you're going to shout if you wish to ask...

DOTTY SPARKS DE BLANC: Yes, surely.

LESLEY COWLEY: Okay. Item 8 is how do we appoint future ccNSO members for the ATRT Review Number 2. So this has also been announced frequently. There is a call for volunteers and there is a list of personal and professional skills suggested in that call for volunteers. The application period closes on the 5th of December this year, and after that closure the Council will be informed of the names of the ccNSO related volunteers for that review. The ccNSO then meets to decide or the Council then meets to decide which candidates will or won't endorse.

There is a requirement in this process for the candidates to be endorsed by the relevant parts of the community. I hasten to add it's not our final decision though. The composition of the review team is determined by



the Chair of the GAC, the Chair of the ICANN Board. The endorsement criteria — I'm not going to run through them all, but I would just highlight that anyone willing to volunteer for this, the last one, which is about the commitment to devote sufficient personal time to the review process — that is not to be underestimated.

If you are thinking of standing, I would highly recommend that you talk to anyone who's been involved in one of these reviews before. I'm really volunteering Cheryl here and I know of course Chris Desspain and Simon Mcalla have been involved in reviews.

They are onerous, huge is coming from the floor, but also they are an education and a complete immersion in a very interesting topic of course, as well. But if you are thinking to volunteer the ccNSO would be very pleased to support you provided you meet the criteria and we look forward to seeing those applications. Any questions or comments on that one? [Marilyn]?

MARILYN:

Just a question. If a person served in the first ATRT that does not mean that person cannot participate in the second one, correct?

LESLEY COWLEY:

I don't think that's been covered at all. I think one might wish to question their sanity, having done it once, but I don't think there's an exclusion.



MALE: No, but there is an exclusion to serve on two concurring review teams; that's the way it's phrased.

LESLEY COWLEY: Okay.

MARILYN: Then if I remember correctly it was suggested that it would be a good idea for our Chair to participate, but since you have participated [that's a] personal question.

LESLEY COWLEY: I haven't really done a review. I rather like [the life]; I'm certainly not going to be volunteering. I'm sorry, I don't mean that. What I mean is trying to be Chair and be on the review and be a CEO is not a healthy combination, I suspect.

MARILYN: So it was Chris that...

LESLEY COWLEY: It was Chris, yeah.

MALE: Yes, for the record it was Becky. Then she stepped down and Chris replaced her here on the first ATRT.



LESLEY COWLEY:

Okay, let's move on before I take any more [hoof]. So you'll remember we had a ccNSO review quite some time ago and we're now down to our last two recommendations that we haven't done from that. There's been a separate paper circulated, but I'm not going to go through in detail. But we have referred back to the survey that informed those recommendations and found to our surprised that the survey was from early 2010 and things have changed considerably since then.

So as a suggestion in terms of moving this one forward and hopefully coming to a conclusion was that we do a new survey to explore a better understanding from the community of the need for translation. We look at the different methods for translation of documentation, the costs and the quality of the translation and the languages that might be needed. Now all of those things are incredibly important for those who don't have English as a first language. But we're also very mindful that translation tools have moved on considerably since that time, too.

So the recommendation, which I'll ask you to vote on in a minute, is that we commission this new survey with the intention of coming back with the results from this survey, present them to the community in Beijing and then [break in audio]. Any questions or comments?

MALE:

May I suggest that we add methods to finance the costs to the survey, because just having the cost is not enough. We also have to decide on, if we're going to do translations, on how we're going to pay for it.

LESLEY COWLEY:

Bart?



BART BOSWINKEL: May I just make a remark. The proposal is in fact two parts. One is to launch a survey to understand the need and secondly that the staff produces an overview of the different methods, costs associated, and we will include funding methods.

LESLEY COWLEY: Given that we're always arguing you can't talk about strategy without knowing costs, it would be a bit odd for us to look at one thing without also looking at the costs too. Okay. Anyone object to that recommendation? All in favor? Dotty? Okay. Thank you very much.

Let's move on then to Item 10, which is the ccNSO Work Plan Update. And Bart is doing a great deal of work to try to get our work planning to a more manageable state. So there's an irony that there's a lot of work on the work plan.

MALE: Something like a cross community working group to decide on the questions...

[crosstalk]

LESLEY COWLEY: They do. They do. It's been a long week, hasn't it? Bart do you want to briefly speak to the new format?



BART BOSWINKEL:

Yes, as you may recall we have a mind map and say, a more a project to create an overview of the workload and the work plan of the ccNSO. It's not very user friendly as you have an understanding, and I thought maybe this type of method — and this is updated as of this meeting — to provide the Council and the community with an idea of a work plan and where we are in the different projects in this format.

If you think this worth pursuing and that this is a good method to do it or if you have any additional say, where you want to see it improved then I'll do it and then I'll put forward all the different tasks, like this is the policy related bit, there is an administrative related bit. You have the strategic planning and ops planning overview, etc. in this type of format. So it's easier manageable and easier to look into.

LESLEY COWLEY:

Okay, so the intent is that you'll circulate that on the Council list, and then we'll come back with feedback within a certain period. And then it will be presented to the TLD community. Any questions or comments about Bart's way forward? Roelof?

ROELOF MEIJER:

Bart I don't know if it's foreseen, will you have planning with that as well, because I seem to remember that one of the reasons why we made this work plan was to see in advance when we would have periods where we would be congested with work. So if you would add a diagram or something, so that we could see how the work proceeds in different...



BART BOSWINKEL: That's why I would say this is more for regular updates. We got this (inaudible) chart including resources, but that's very difficult and time consuming to maintain. And say, that's how we'll revisit that for the Beijing meeting because I assume we'll have again a workshop and that's precisely the moment to look into it.

ROELOF MEIJER: Okay, excellent. Thank you.

BART BOSWINKEL: Just another look at the workload of the ccNSO.

LESLEY COWLEY: Yeah. So just for audience information, one of the things we've been quite keen as a Council is to get a better feel for our work coming up as well as the work currently ongoing, and to see where new work might be slotted in. At the moment I think we are, it feels like we are running to capacity. Before something new is to come onto the program, something will need to delay or drop off. Roelof?

ROELOF MEIJER: Just a question on the plan. Will this also feed into the study group or now workload and capacity?

BART BOSWINKEL: Of course they can use it as a base material because it's just another view of the material they already receive so that's the (inaudible) chart



including the resources. That's a more extensive view than this one. This is easier just to maintain, so it's not different.

LESLEY COWLEY: It's the same information just in a different format, yeah. Anyone else? No. Okay, thank you. Moving on then to Working Group and Other Updates; first up the Finance Working Group. Anything in addition to our many updates from the finance working group clinic?

BYRON HOLLAND: I'm going to make the assumption that we don't want to hear it a fourth time, so my update will be limited to two sentences. Okay, a third — it's over now.

LESLEY COWLEY: There's some competition coming in here. Okay, 11.2 is the SOP Working Group, a shorter update.

ROELOF MEIJER: There have been no developments since yesterday.

LESLEY COWLEY: Okay, the Framework of Interpretation Working Group.

KEITH DAVIDSON: FOIWG tomorrow 1:00 to 4:00 in our room — be there.



LESLEY COWLEY: Thank you Keith. The Joint ccNSO/GNSO IDN JIG. Jan? Do we have Jan in the room? No, well that wins the award for shortest update then. Bart?

BART BOSWINKEL: The Working Group had a meeting yesterday. They'll be looking into a final report on universal acceptance that will be published between now and the Beijing meeting. And at the Beijing meeting they will probably request the Council to change that mandate into a standing committee.

LESLEY COWLEY: We await development. Okay 11.5, the Joint Security and Stability Working Group, the DSSA. Bart?

BART BOSWINKEL: There've been no real developments in this since the previous Council call. The DSSA met here and will have their own meeting tomorrow and will meet with the Board Risk Framework Committee to see how they can interact. And they will meet with the contractor who has been appointed to do the work on the Risk framework.

LESLEY COWLEY: Thank you Bart. I'm assuming if anyone has questions or comments they're going to interrupt, otherwise I'm just going to skim through. Young-Eum you look poised to comment though?



YOUNG-EUM LEE: Thank you. The study group on country and territory names met briefly on Monday. As you will remember, the study group has been waiting for the UN survey on some of the issues and there was a list of 39 countries total.

We have been getting some responses, but the response rate is still very low, so we have decided to extend the survey period until the Beijing meeting. In the mean time some of the actual responses have been shared and the group is in the process of analyzing some of those responses. And we are also planning for the final report and there has been a framework for the final report that has been suggested. Thank you.

LESLEY COWLEY: Thank you Young. We jumped over the Program Working Group, Vika, apologies. The Meeting Program Working Group.

VIKA MPISANE: At this stage the Meetings Program would like to report they would like to sit down and review how this meeting went, but maybe I'll let Ondrej, who was the Chair of this Working Group circulated a few minutes ago. And that shows the attendance trends of this meeting. Yesterday we had our best attendance, a number of people attended, 121 at some points. That dropped today to 88. Beyond this is a public and a question raised about funds, so we will have chosen at the next meeting and review that and start working on the agenda for the Chair nominating. Thanks.



LESLEY COWLEY: Excellent. Thank you very much. And thank you very much to all your fellow members on the committee. I know it's been quite a task to get the program together. Okay. Next up we have the informal Council Study Group on the Workload and Capacity. Fernando?

FERNDANDO ESPANA: Yes, we actually had our first face to face meeting this past Sunday and in previous conversations, in previous calls we discussed with the help of Bart and Gabbie five different... We looked at five different options on how to address and how to address and prioritize the external requests that was sent to ccNSO. Out of those five different options we decided to narrow it down and focus on one.

So at this face to face meeting we actually discussed a triage request on a process on financing to get the request and keep priority as triage team. So right now we are discussing that we're working to get approval on that document and we've set our internal goal to have the work of the group finalized by March of next year, so everything is submitted to the Council.

LESLEY COWLEY: Okay, thank you Fernando. Next we have the IDN PDP Working Group
1. Bart?

BART BOSWINKEL: Since yesterday nothing happened.



LESLEY COWLEY: That's a relief. Okay, Vika has to go. You're allowed. Thank you. Okay next up we have a recommendation to appoint a new member of the Tech Working Group, the appointment of Chris Hesselman from .nl. Can I ask are there any objections? Roelof you wanted to say something?

ROELOF MEIJER: I know of no such person. His first name is Christian, C-h-r-i-s-t-i-a-n.

LESLEY COWLEY: I have Chris on here. We renamed him.

ROELOF MEIJER: To Chris. Oh yeah, that's fine. Let's do that.

LESLEY COWLEY: I apologize.

ROELOF MEIJER: On the condition that we approve him unanimously.

LESLEY COWLEY: Okay, so the appointment of Christian Hesselman by a member of the Tech Working Group. Any objections? All in approval? All in support? Excellent, thank you very much. Other? Yeah, Bart.

BART BOSWINKEL: At the same time there was — and it's not put on the agenda for that reason — but there is the request from the Tech Working Group to



affirm Erwin Lansing from .dk as an observer. As it's an observer and not a full member of the Tech Working Group there's no formal Council vote, but the Tech Working Group would seek support from the Council to affirm his status as an observer.

LESLEY COWLEY:

As far as I'm aware we don't need to approve observers — we could be here forever. And just for the record, Roelof has abstained from that previous vote because obviously he has a conflict, because he knows his real name. Okay let's move on. The ICANN Outreach Program. Sokol?

SOKOL HAXHIU:

Yes, we had a meeting today of the Working Group and this is one of those working groups that we always have more issues to discuss than time available. However we concluded some things. First of all we were presented with a workbook that basically aggregates all our inputs, provided during discussions and meetings from the Prague meeting to this meeting.

Basically that workbook we have seeks (inaudible) for outreach, namely their message planning materials, methods, roles and collaborations. So now the whole idea is to translate this or make a transition of this into a program. And also the next action will be to prepare the inventory of all present activities of ICANN to work outreach. And then eventually the idea is to pick up some of those ideas and translate those in projects and find the financing. Of course we're still in discussion before finalizing this as the workbook for finalizing it and discussing it further and making it more relevant.



LESLEY COWLEY: Okay, thank you Sokol. Ah-ha, just in time. 11.12, the ICANN Academy. Hong?

HONG XUE: ICANN Academy Working Group finally made progress. At a meeting this morning we agreed that there should be a community consultation before launching any training programs. So we've composed a drafting team to draft a list of options, which will be circulated to all the ACs and SOs to ask these constituencies to identify who they would like to send to the training program and what would be the training need. And ultimately the timeline they preferred.

The questionee will be circulated to all the SO/Acs at the end of November and hopefully will be completed in a month. For ccNSO it will be circulated in the Council and we challenge them to feedback from the community.

LESLEY COWLEY: Okay, so just for clarity, is the request of the Council to nominate people to attend, in which case we'll need to think how we do that?

HONG XUE: No, no, no, this is a survey, just to guide you on your preference. Do you want to send the Chair, the Vice Chair, and two leaders or is anyone you believe is a future Chair deserve to be trained. That's really a study that doesn't commit anyone to anything.



LESLEY COWLEY: Okay, we'll await the arrival of the survey to consider it. Will that be here in time for next Council call, do you think?

HONG XUE: It will be after that call.

LESLEY COWLEY: Okay, thank you. And next up we have the ccNSO Travel Funding Committee, which for your information is Sokol, Dotty and myself. And the Travel Committee we're looking at applications for funding for travel to this meeting. Unfortunately one of the people we elected to support wasn't able to travel and ran into unfortunate leader problems.

But other than that the group have been talking around how we can be a bit more transparent about how we decide on who to fund, and the criteria and so on. We've had a discussion around that that's ongoing. I think we should be due to come back to the Council on recommendations fairly shortly. Dotty, Sokol, I don't know if you wanted to add anything?

SOKOL HAXHIU: I just something briefly. During this recap I've had different meetings and with the different stakeholders. Basically the concern is that they have been applying to this and they want to apply in the future and they want more information on the process because they have been rejected several times, etc. And of course I've informed them about our ongoing work to improve the process and make this more transparent.



LESLEY COWLEY: That's helpful, thank you. But there are always more applicants than we can fund. Dotty did you want to add anything to that?

DOTTY SPARKS DE BLANC: No, not right now. But I think we have a lot to talk about, especially after Fadi's presentation for this meeting.

LESLEY COWLEY: Alright, let's come back to that one when we finalize that work then. Okay next up we have the Liaison Update. GNSO liaison, Han Chuan is currently in the GNSO meeting, so his update will follow. And the ALAC liaison, we had an update email from Ron earlier today, which we very much appreciate. Thank you. I don't know if Ron or Cheryl wanted to add anything to that.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Just very briefly, as the current liaison from the ALAC to the ccNSO and working as rapidly as is reasonable exit strategy because there's this little NomCom think I'm supposed to be involved in somehow and it seemed appropriate for me to do so. But I will be still serving as you liaison; technically I could sever the next twelve months, but I believe this job needs a proper transition, at least people need to be brought up to speed.

And I'd just like to note how incredibly helpful your staff has been, even just here at this meeting helping the goal looking towards maybe trying to become part of me. And I just think you really have fantastic staff



and I wanted to have that on the formal record. It's amazing. Thank you.

LESLEY COWLEY:

We do, but it never hurts to be reminded. Thank you very much, Cheryl. Okay moving on to Dates of Next Meetings. We have an Informal Council called on the 23rd of October. We have our next formal call on the 20th of November and then on the 11th of December. Gabbie and Christina as always will send reminders of those calls out.

Let me warn you in advance, we have been missing a few Councilors recently and one of the improvements we might want to make to the actions process is to publish records of attendance. That would be my suggestion anyway. So if you're think of responding, but have found it difficult to attend, which I fully understand, if we could have a special effort that would be fantastic. Get those dates in your diary.

Okay, is there any other business to plead? Hong?

HONG XUE:

I'm you'll know more Beijing conference information tomorrow at the public forum. If I could also my personal advice as a Chinese citizen, I'd say that China is very thrilled with the exemption of program. So that most of you, I guess 99% will have to apply for a visa to go to China, it will be very time consuming, so I strongly suggest you plan well ahead your travel to Beijing.

LESLEY COWLEY:

Okay, very useful advice. Thank you. Anyone else? So I've just got a little bit of other business. First of all we have a welcome to Mary, as



our new NomCom appointed member, who as I said earlier is at her last GNSO Council meeting today. But she will be joining us after the end of the Toronto meeting and has already joined our email list and will join our calls after this week.

And then I have two thank you's, and I've been trying to see if one of them is in the room. And I think he's had to go, which is really unfortunate, but firstly we have a thank you to Juhani Juselius, who is stepping down from the Council due to other demands. He's so busy he's had to go already.

Juhani was elected in 2008 and we would like to thank him for his outstanding work as a Council member, and very much hope he can become involved and remain involved, particularly when he's been able to sort out the issues he's currently wrestling with in his country. And I'd like to pass a vote of thanks by acclamation.

We also have a certificate I will make sure Juhani gets. And just so you know being a Councilor is worthwhile, we also have a giveaway that some of you will recognize. So it's a folder for your continuing work, titled Evil Plans and Other Stuff, which we thought might be a fond reminder of Council.

The secondly we have, but by no means leastly, we have a thank you to Becky Burr. At the end of this meeting Becky Burr will be standing down as the NomCom ccNSO Councillor. She's been here as a NomCom Councilor for two consecutive terms and we'd like to thank her for her outstanding work and guidance, particularly her drafting and writing skills, which have been very, very much appreciated.



Becky of course is coming back, but she's coming back after the Beijing meeting with a different hat on. But we would like to formally thank her by acclamation for her service in the NomCom realm. Thank you Becky.

[background conversation]

LESLEY COWLEY:

Okay, that concludes the ccNSO Council meeting. Thank you very much Councilors and thank you everyone for your attention. Bart we almost got away, what have I missed? Oh goodness, that's on the back. I'm so sorry. Let's return for Council. We wish to thank the sponsors for lunch at CNNIC the other day and the sponsors for the ccNSO dinner, who were Norid, CENTR, SIDN, Nominet, JPRS, auDA, and CIRA.

And finally, how could I have forgotten, I'm so sorry. Finally the Council on behalf of the ccTLD community present, would like to thank the host of the Toronto meeting, CIRA, ccTLD manager for .CA for organizing an outstanding final ccNSO dinner, for hosting this meeting, and for their warm hospitality.

And in particular the Council would like to thank Byron Holland and his team of very professional and lovely staff for their support, their warm welcome, and their wonderful organizational skills. Thank you Byron. I normally have things on one side of the paper; I'm so sorry. Okay we can now close the meeting. Thank you very much everyone.



[End of Transcript]

