TORONTO – At-Large Regional Leadership Meeting Wednesday, October 17, 2012 – 12:30 to 14:30 ICANN - Toronto, Canada

MATT ASHTIANI: Hello and welcome to the At-Large Regional Leadership Meeting on the

17th of October, 2012. Please remember to state your name before

speaking and to speak at a reasonable pace. Thank you very much.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. This is Garth Bruen, Chair of NARALO, recently elected and I

am very, very happy to be here and to be speaking to all of you. This is

going to be a full packed agenda. And I may shake things up a little bit

and it's really for the discussion purposes and for the purposes of

getting us all engaged and getting problems solved.

So in terms of the roll call, I would like to start at the end on my right

with Oksana. Oksana?

OKSANA PRYKHODKO: Hi, I am Oksana Prykhodko, Ukraine/European media expert, former

EURALO Secretariat.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: Good afternoon. I'm Sylvia Herlein Leite, LACRALO Secretariat.

SANDRA HOFERICHTER: Sandra Hoferichter, EURALO Representative to the ALAC.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

WOLF LUDWIG: Wolf Ludwig, EURALO Chair.

AZIZ HILALI: Aziz Hilali, Secretary of AFRALO.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Tijani Ben Jemaa, Vice Chair of AFRALO and ALAC member.

YJ PARK: Y J Park, a member of APRALO.

SIVASUBRUMANIAN MUTHUSAMY: Sivasubramanian from ISOC India Chennai, which is part of APRALO.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Rinalia Abdul Rahim, APRALO.

HOLLY RAICHE: Holly Raiche, APRALO.

EDMON CHUNG: Edmon Chung, APRALO as well.

MATT ASHTIANI: Matt Ashtiani, ICANN Staff.



SILVIA VIVANCO: Silvia Vivanco, ICANN Staff.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Heidi Ullrich, ICANN Staff.

GARTH BRUEN: Garth Bruen, NARALO Chair.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Cheryl Langdon-Orr, also APRALO, but here with my particular capacity

as Chair of the Rules of Procedure Review and Metrics Working Group.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Glen McKnight, NARALO and NomCom Rep and soon to be ISOC Canada

Representative.

DANA PERRY: Dana Perry, Community Access Program.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Incoming LACRALO from the ALAC side.

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: Yes, I too need coffee. This is Jean-Jacques Subrenat, a member of the

ALAC.

CARLTON SAMUELS: This is Carlton Samuels, LACRALO and a member of the ALAC.



YAOVI ATOHOUN: Yaovi Atohoun, AFRALO, ALAC.

HADJA OUATTARA: Hadja Ouattra, AFRALO.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Sergio Salinas Porto.

PAVAN BUDHRANI: Pavan Budhrani, APRALO Secretariat.

MATT ASHTIANI: [Ingese LaGruver], ICANN Staff is also here.

GARTH BRUEN: Alright, thank you very much. The agenda that's up there is the

Summary Agenda. I do have just a slightly more detailed agenda which I can send to the list, so everybody can have it. Maybe Staff can do that

while I'm chatting if Dee Dee finally got a copy of it.

[background conversation]

GARTH BRUEN: I am new in this role and as somebody who is new in this role, I'm sort

of doing a lot of on the job training, and hearing from everybody. And



I'm sure as most of you know, when you do become a leader in a leadership position everybody starts piling on their unique issues and their unique problems. One of the things I had experienced over the summer that lead up to my election was a dispute, a conflict among the members in my region, between different members, and it was a very unfortunate episode.

And before being elected I spent quite a bit of my time just trying to resolve the dispute between our members, because it was very, very important to me that we continue to work together as a community and that this not fall apart. So I took it upon myself to do that and I tried very hard not to take sides between people, but when you're working in a group you can't help but know the history and know the personalities.

And of course while I was trying to resolve this dispute I also became aware of disputes within other regions, within LACRALO and also within EURALO. And I don't know, but I imagine there are probably disputes in every region. There are probably disputes within AFRALO and within...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

There aren't any in APRALO. Seriously we don't do disputes.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Alright...

[background conversation]



EN

GARTH BRUEN:

Well, then you can teach us while you're here. Regardless of the peace that exists within APRALO it does not exist everywhere. And if I have to quote Martin Luther King, "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." So in that context it made me wonder if it was possible for somebody outside of a region to help with mediation and dispute resolution in a different region.

For example if there does by some catastrophe happen to be a dispute between two APRALO members, that somebody from NARALO might to be able to help them work it out, because presumably the person with NARALO has absolutely no stake in the dispute. Their only stake in the dispute is that the community as a whole functions properly. And I see Wolf has his hand up. Please, Wolf?

WOLF LUDWIG:

It's Wolf Ludwig for the record. I think it's a good idea. I think there are different types of conflicts. The most pleasant ones are the ones who disappear by themselves; with a little patience it may happen. The other type of conflict may be more substantial and I think it's a good idea — cross-RALO intermediation, if really necessary. But I would say you need to see the cultural conflicts, and I wouldn't see many obstacles, just as an example to be a mediator with a NARALO conflict.

I wouldn't see this by the way for APRALO, because Asian cultures are so much different from European cultures and I wouldn't see myself in such a role to interfere. I've lived and worked in Africa, so I know a little bit about Africa. But even in Africa, depending on the part of Africa, whether it's eastern, southern, western, or northern Africa it's always a



cultural tradition behind, and a way how to deal with hidden or open conflicts.

So I would say basically it's a good idea, but you have to have a second and a third look to find out what solution may be appropriate, or what approach might even show to be counterproductive. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you, Wolf. I know that we're all different. I'd like to think that we're not that different. And of course because we're different people are going to disagree with me. And I just think of course we want problems to go away on their own and not to be so vulgar, but you can cough up a cold — you can't cough up a tumor. And if you're all part of the same body, you're going to need a doctor to do it. But I'm going to go to Jean-Jacques, who had his hand up.

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT:

Sorry. I had my ear phones on so was I referred to as cancer? Is this where I come in or...?

GARTH BRUEN:

Well, in America we call it 'cancer'; I know in Europe they call it 'le cancer'.

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT:

Okay. This is Jean-Jacques Subrenat. I didn't know that this was the first point which you would be bringing up, because the title is fairly large, ALAC RALO Relations and Policy Development. But listening to



EN

the specific point which was just made now, I tend to react rather negatively and say that in a body which is already so complex, like ICANN, there are so many structural and process problems that we don't want to add another layer.

And I would think it quite natural if it were the Chair or one of the Vice Chairs, by delegation from the Chair, who'd be called upon when necessary, but only when necessary, to give advice and smooth things out. To act in a way as a sort of ombudsman or ombudswoman without that being a specific title or function. It's just part of the family habit, so I would avoid any specific structure for that.

GARTH BRUEN:

Just to be clear, I was really thinking of this to be a completely informal arrangement where if somebody wanted to volunteer to help somebody resolve a dispute in another region they certainly could do so. But to retort slightly Jean-Jacques, what do you do when the Chair is the person who the dispute is with?

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT:

Yes, well you know what happened in the French Revolution? That's what's called a radical solution before the invention of nuclear arms. So we don't want to go that far, but the function of mediator or of the wise person who may give a bit of advice, and who doesn't have a dog running in the race, of course that is a very good point. So I would say take the youngest and most innocent among the members, or on the contrary the eldest provided hero whose memory still serves and get it done with.



GARTH BRUEN:

[speaks French] And just one thing, just for helping me out, if you do want to speak, make sure you hold your hand up high, because I'm looking this way, I'm looking that way and then there's a light right here. So just make sure that I can see you and I actually acknowledge you, or Heidi can see you. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Okay, the 'Jeany' part I'll skip. And Garth, I don't think there is really disputes in AFRALO. There is small things like we have all in our families, but a real dispute AFRALO, I didn't see that. Second point, mediation from another RALO is a good thing when it is possible, because there is disputes that are nobody can solve, because the problems are inside people, so they get advised and you cannot give them the good reason.

But I always thought that any conflict, any problem should be solved inside the RALO, because nobody can find the right solution other than the people of the RALO themselves. And I think that we are a community of intelligent people and people with a certain level of education, that we can find a midway, in a position that will be satisfactory for everyone. And this needs for everybody, every part to try to be less exigent or less rigid. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you. I really hope that all of these problems and especially family disputes can be resolved within the region. I'm thinking of situations like I guess a Cain and Able or a Romulus and Remus situation, where



EN

it's just become too much. Where family members can no longer sit at the same table and something has gotten that far, and I just really hope that things never get that far.

And we were able to resolve our dispute in our region, but if I see something that's going on in a region for so long and becomes so loud that those in another region can hear it, it's something that we should address as a community. And Cheryl had her hand up in the corner of my eye. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you Garth. Cheryl for the transcript record. I think what we also need to remember is certainly the informal and think there's that layer of early irritation, that someone could go from a region and reach out to a trusted friend in another region and work in that very informal way. But as you just highlighted Garth, of course it gets to be the time when the canker's just gotten too big there and we've just got to do something about it.

And to be honest we have a structure within ICANN that we can use. We don't use the ombudsman's office enough. We often use it too little and too late. It works better if it happens at a very minor facilitated discussion level and then if that doesn't work up the ante. We tend to only take the big issue or the big ticket items to Chris and his team.

And in case you're wondering a member of my AUDA Board, Graham McDonald, who came up to give me a nudge to go, "Have they heard of the word ombudsman, Cheryl," is an ex Australian government — sorry, you didn't work for the government, the Australian banking



EN

ombudsman, so he kind of knows what we're talking about, because that's people's finances, and you'll see him in other forums here at ICANN as well.

But I think we're not using the ombudsman's office for the little things, and maybe if we did, we'd all learn about how to interact in these difficult times that happen sometimes. Because it's a skill set; it's like chairing a meeting is a skill set. You've got to do a few to really make a good job of it. And so taking some of the little issues and learning how to do it might help us deal with the bigger issues and stop them from becoming enormous.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you, Cheryl. That actually leads into the second point of discussion here, which is what can we do as a group before going to the ombudsman? And I think that as a point of clarification, there are extreme uses of the ombudsman, which is an official complaint process. And then there are the less extreme ones, which are the facilitation that you're discussing.

If it's facilitation we're talking about, definitely we should be using the ombudsman. We've had the ombudsman in our meeting. I don't know if you've had the ombudsman in any of your meetings or you've met him before, but he is actually also there for informal dispute resolution. And I think that that's something that many people don't understand, is that this is a possibility also.



Does anybody else have any further comments on this topic, and it's really something I just want you all to be thinking about. Yes, please Yaovi?

YAOVI ATOHOUN:

Yaovi speaking. I think that before going even out, the Chair of the ALAC can also be helpful. So my point is that even before going to another region, the Chair of ALAC and what we are calling the ExCom they can also find a way to bring a sort of solution and this is what I want to add. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

I think that's an excellent point. And as you were speaking, the Chair of ALAC was chewing. I think we had Glenn and then Siva.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

My experience working with NARALO, except for this very recent incident this summer that there's no point in even talking about, it has been a very intellectual group. I don't recall any disputes that ever happened. It's remarkable. And we did hear about other groups that had some contentious issues and as I say, I think that Jean said it's like a family, we do have our moments.

But I think in our case, Garth is sitting down with each of us and finding out what our issues are, to not hide them or not bring them to the group, but so that he can understand the dynamics of what is going on. But I would suggest that we have almost like a code of ethics, like some kind of respect for each other, using proper language, or not



disrespecting each other in any way and have courtesy. That's my

suggestion.

GARTH BRUEN:

And I know that we all engage in a bit of cultural teasing. Holly and I have developed a great friendship because while Holly is Australian, we're actually from the same town in Massachusetts in the United States. I'm sorry Harriet. Siva?

SIVASUBRUMANIAN MUTHUSAMY: The idea expresse

MY: The idea expressed that before we go to them, we try to have our dispute mechanism here among ourselves. And I am saying even before we go to a formal process with ALAC or an At-Large we can have an informal way of trying to solve the problems.

Like if I had a dispute I would find a... I mean I find many people here quite respectable about politics, but just to drop some names, I'd be very comfortable talking to Jean or Oliver informally about a particular problem. And without calling it a problem, if that can be resolved informally there's no need even to give the status of a dispute, so after that, if that does not resolve then the next step, which is an extreme step of going to the ombudsman.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay.



EN

SIVASUBRUMANIAN MUTHUSAMY: At least try and find one or two people as an informal group like a group of counselors, that's a very wrong term to use, but people of certain stature who can provide informal advice, without taking sides.

GARTH BRUEN:

Yeah. And this is Garth Bruen again. Absolutely and I just want to say that this is also just an open invitation that anybody who is actually having a dispute problem and they don't want to talk about it here in this room, please talk to me or talk to somebody else who has spoken up at this table. Thank you. And if there are no other comments, I will move on to the next agenda item. I will give one beep for a hand. No. And I will turn the microphone over to Cheryl and probably never get it back.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the transcript record. And I might consider it. No, not at all, actually you might all be surprised, but in all the times I've served the ALAC and the At-Large community, this is the first time I've had the honor and privilege of speaking at this forum and being invited to speak at this forum, and I want to thank you all for that.

I took a very hands off and keep away from you all attitude when I was Chair of the ALAC, because it was very much the regions were very new, you needed to sort yourselves out, you needed to bend. You didn't need ALAC coming and looking like, in my case Big Bird on Monday, but some overbearing, "What are you doing and how is it going?"



EN

[background conversation]

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Yeah, exactly. You all have that now. You've got the stability. You've got your records. You've got your meetings. You know each other and thank you for inviting me today. And having said that, the opportunity that I was going to take to work with you today, was through the Rules of Procedure Working Group and the Metrics Review that we are doing. Now I'd like to have been a whole lot further on. I would like to have been able to put up a screen shot of what we're calling a new Rules of Procedure template for the ALAC. But the fact of the matter is those materials are still being fit into that master template at this stage.

And you did all hear me, I hope, report on this to the At-Large Advisory Committee only earlier this week. The intention was to have at least an ultimate or penultimate draft in the hands of the ALAC, and therefore the opportunity would have been to take any particular questions from you on how these things might be affecting your regions. There are rules in there for example about when for example, you send someone to the ALAC, they will then be under a specific set of overarching and overriding rules.

So there's going to be a hierarchy of rules. ICANN Bylaws — top of the tree. ALAC Rules of Procedure, then there'll be a whole lot of annexes and things that we can change and be more flexible with. Then we'll use things like Robert's Rules of Procedure for meetings if we need to get into the weeds on some things. Don't shake your head at me; it's what we're doing.



EN

But what will happen then is someone's going to say what about the regional rules. And so I'd still like to take that discussion and look at, you've had some exposure to the proposed and most probable rules that the ALAC will be adopting. There are points where you might want to know if your regional rules have directed votes. How are the ALAC rules going to deal with directed votes? And I hope Alan hasn't left the building — good, don't you dare leave this room Mr. Greenberg.

For example that's something we should discuss, and we need to discuss with you, because you're representing the people who send these people to sit on the ALAC. And I really want to make sure we have those pieces of conversation today. So instead of being able to show you any of those things, I've seeded a couple of ideas. How do you want to take it? Do you want to talk about for example, the issue of when you send someone to the At-Large Advisory Committee? Are they ours or are they yours — that's probably a nice inflammatory point to start.

And Alan's joining me, which is very good. And I see around the table so many of you who've contributed hugely to the development of these consensus built rules, so let's throw the floor open. Thank you, Oksana.

OKSANA PRYKHODKO:

Thank you, Chair. Oksana Prykhodko, for the record. I have a very simple proposition, to have a requirement to put ALAC [worker] on the website of the ALS. What I am talking about, we are talking about ALS as an entity (inaudible), but it's not true. For example our second Ukrainian ALS, they are a Ukrainian Internet Association with 130 members, 130 different organizations.



EN

We have a new leadership in this internet association and this new leadership does not know about ALAC at all. And I was contacted by other members of this association to explain what is ALAC, what is their role or participation in this structure? Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you for the question, Oksana. It's an important one and it will fit perfectly, I think, into the next agenda item. Won't it? Good, so we'll take that on notice, but we won't be answering that; it's huge and it has to be dealt with, absolutely. Oh, you're making me so happy. Oh, trust me, this is as good as vowing to put the development application through at three minutes to 3:00 in the morning, after you've had the Council working for eight or nine hours. I'm going to call this once. Yes, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I'm just going to reiterate something you said a little while ago. As Cheryl said, we hoped to have an almost complete Rules of Procedure, for approval by the ALAC. We are I think on Thursday going to ask for approval in principle of the direction we're going in. But all the words aren't there, so we can't ask formal approval.

I believe what we will be doing is having probably at least one other, maybe two drafting group meetings after this, and then very soon after that there will be a semifinal draft. Please, look at it. There's going to be a small window that we'll have to fix things, because some of us don't want to do this for the rest of their lives. Thank you, Holly. So all I'm saying is, when you see it, it's not one of those other mails you can



EN

ignore forever and wait for the next ICANN meeting to address; it is going to be a shorter time than that. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Go ahead, Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Tijani, for the transcript. I agree 100% with what Alan said about the participation of the community of the ALSes, of the regional leadership, of all members of At-Large. These Rules of Procedure is the propriety of all of us, and we don't have the right to ignore it, because when it will be approved and applied, we will be the ones who will be governed by it, and at this time it will be too late to change it. So please read it. It's very important. Read it and please say no. If you want to say yes, don't say it, but when you want to, say no and why.

Second point, Alan I do hope that these Rules of Procedure will not be done in a hurry. We have to get all our time to have the semifinal project that will be put for comment, for the whole At-Large community for a certain time. And then after this comment we come back and we finalize it and give the final version that will be voted by ALAC. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Let me give my answer and then I think Cheryl probably has something to say also. No, we do not want to rush it. If we were rushing it, we would have been following Cheryl's advice and we'd have something to





approve today, which I wouldn't be very proud of. We are not rushing it, but we want to get this done.

And you are correct, someone coming up afterwards and saying "Oh, I hadn't really read it. I don't agree with that." It will happen of course, and things can be changed, but they're not going to be changed quickly. And right now we are living with a lot of rules, which we don't follow because they are obsolete, or stupid, or something. We hope to have a minimum of those for a while; things to change over time.

With regard to opening to the whole community, my personal position, I'm not running it yet, or ever, hopefully, but I don't know when Cheryl's going to disappear in her NomCom role, so I'm a little worried. My personal position is, this a document which has to be approved by the ALAC, that's number one.

How ALAC members make their decision as to whether they want to approve it or comment on it, is their decision. If you as a member of AFRALO choose to send it out for comment and consolidate the input that comes back, I heartily support that concept. If you don't, I think you're probably not honoring your full commitment to your RALO.

I do not want to be in a position personally as one of the people drafting it, to consolidate input from all over the place. We certainly can't be in a position that if one person in Australia happens to say "I don't like Rule 1.6.3.4," we rewrite it, even though the drafting groups and the rest of the ALAC were happy with it. This is an ALAC document and to the extent you want to take input from your communities, filter it, choose to ignore what you choose to ignore, pass through the things



EN

that you truly believe are important for ALAC — that part of the process I 100% support. Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thanks Alan. Cheryl for the record. And it's scary when we agree; we have to stop this. It's the wrong outward looking process, but not good. One of the reasons we're here, or I'm here today and we're talking on this topic is to make sure you're taking this opportunity now. Otherwise I'd have just pulled this from the agenda and you'd have had another ten minutes in your lives. It is important. You're the regional leaders. Look at the damned thing. It's there; it's been there from day one. Have a look.

As Alan suggested, integrate with those beyond the drafting teams in any way you want, but do it promptly, because this is not a document that goes out to community and public comment. The Bylaws state very clearly that it is the Advisory Committee that makes its rules. What the Advisory Committee of the At-Large has wisely done this time is involve regions, make sure that regional leadership is involved, and made sure that the drafting teams are open to the community.

Look at who is on those drafting teams. The community is actually making these rules, and that's important. But the ALAC has to just get on with the job, and as soon as possible, because we don't want to have the new ALAC operating under these silly old rules any longer than we possibly can. They deserve the fresh start that these give them. So it's us trying to do them a favor. Go ahead Tijani.



EN

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

I don't think we are disagreeing, because I said that the rules will be adopted and voted on by ALAC. I didn't say they would be voted by the At-Large. But as much as we have feedback it will be better. You said that each RALO is free to share it with the community or not. Here I disagree, because I would like the maximum of input. And if there is 1% that disagrees, it should not be something that we should put in our RALO procedure; that's nominal. We are looking for ideas. We are looking for the best way to be governed by this ALAC — that's it. That's all.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Tijani, Cheryl here. We absolutely agree and the point is though, we are not asking the ALAC to put it out for comment. The comments are ongoing and are opening now. So that input needs to be happening now. And it's your regional leadership that have to make sure that happens, because the ALAC will have to go down its pathway. Hopefully, it will have all the good advice it needs to do so. Over to you, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG:

On this one Cheryl and I may disagree. I would have no real problem — I don't think it's the best way to do it — but I would probably have no problem if the ALAC decided to send the semifinal document to the At-Large list and funnel your input back through your regional people. It's important when we send this document out or you send it out, regardless of how it happens, for people to understand that this... There are some points in these rules that were agreed to unanimously





by the respective drafting teams. There many that were hard discussions.

Tijani started off saying he agrees with me and Tijani says that often. Tijani doesn't always agree with me. Tijani has made suggestions that I rejected absolutely, not saying it can't be in the documents, but personally I objected to. And similarly there are suggestions that have been made, that I as the drafter, as the penholder and Chair of the meeting, said, "Oops, I guess I lost that one, no one agrees with me—tough." There were hard discussions made and there are often no right ways, but we have to make decisions.

So it's important for people to understand no one got everything they want. And the commenters are not going to get everything they want, but we certainly want people to point out things they believe are really stupid, because we may have messed it up. There are almost certainly going to be things we forgot, absolutely, and needed to be added. And there will probably be some things that people say "Why do you have that there? We don't want that at all. Either we want to be silent or what you're saying is wrong," or something.

So we need the input. We need to collect it in an orderly way because we know there are going to be people who violently disagree with some of the things we're saying. There are people on the drafting teams who violently disagree with some of the things that their drafting teams have agreed to. We need to set the picture properly. People in ICANN sometimes feel that a consensus is unanimity and in my world if you get everything you get unanimously agreed to it's going to be a very weak document, and that isn't what we want.



EN

So thank you. I have to leave for another meeting that I'm in too, but if anyone wants to object to what I said I'll listen.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Full anonymity will never happen.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you for this opportunity. It's Cheryl Langdon-Orr.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Sorry, just to say if the speakers could please speak closer to the microphones for the interpreters. Thank you. That's Gisella.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Cheryl Langdon-Orr here and my suspicion is I am the exception to that rule to be honest. I think the mics down there can pick up my projected voice, but I'll try not to yell at them either.

Garth thank you very much and I hope our little wander through the quagmire that it could become and hopefully made sure that no one does do down that pathway, will help. It is up to the regional leaders to get these things out and disseminated. It's an opportunity the regions need to have.

And certainly you all know how to get hold of me. I haven't disappeared off the planet. I might have to go behind closed doors from time to time, but contact me and you know Alan and the rest of the team. You've got half the drafting penholders sitting around this table. But we've got to get this right. And any questions that any region has, we



EN

will do show and tell, and presentations at your regional meetings — it won't be a problem. Thank you for the opportunity.

GARTH BRUEN:

This is Garth. Thank you to Cheryl and Alan. As the Chair of this particular meeting and this group, I'll make sure that it becomes an action item for follow-up for this meeting. Thank you. If everybody's miserable then we have consensus I suppose.

[background conversation]

GARTH BRUEN:

Next item, Outreach and In-reach and Recruitment of New ALSes. This is a thing that in our region we've been spending quite bit on time on discussing in our Capacity Building sessions. We've had some wonderful ideas and wonderful discussions around it.

And the first sub-item is about streamlining communications, and this also comes from my personal experience stepping into the role of chair that there are many things which need to be tweaked, not completely erased, but minor fixes that can be made to make all of our communication and understanding of what's going on, much easier.

Just as a simple example, in all the emails going around preparing for this meeting it was referred to as RALO Secretariats Meeting. In the calendar on the schedule it's referred to as At-Large Regional Leadership Meeting. And this is one of many confusing items that I find within documents, within schedules. We have to make sure that we're always



using the same term for the same thing. If we've already decided on what something is called let's stick to it. And Tijani did you have a point?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes, it's the same because a Secretariat is made of the leaders of the region. That's why Staff is using sometimes regional leadership, but it is correct.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. I mean this is just something to think about in your daily experience. Holly, please?

HOLLY RAICHE:

I think another thing that would help is if we somewhere just had a list of the mailing lists and what they're used for, and what they are, because I don't know about everybody else, but I don't want to get three emails saying the same thing.

So there should be a mailing list that is for (x) purpose — (y) purpose is for x, (x) purpose is for whatever, and then we use those mailing lists correctly, so that we're all only getting one. And we know from the list that's being used, is this something that just contains people's thoughts and those items, whatever, or is this something that requires decision. And if we can all agree on what we're using the lists for we're going to make our lives a lot easier.



GARTH BRUEN:

Yes, and then the next issue I noticed is there are just too many subpages. And I think that there were subpages where there didn't need to be subpages. For example we have our monthly meeting call, teleconference. And there is a separate page for Action Items from each meeting and this is completely unnecessary.

The Action Items can be put directly into the meeting agenda at the end of that meeting. And then at the top the Meeting Agenda for the next meeting, so there is linkage between them all without getting the Action Items lost in a separate page. And of course there are many places where this can be addressed, just another thing to think about.

I'm also concerned about using too much jargon, especially in the face of new members, new people who are coming on. I had a problem with this when I started with At-large. People would say I'm going to the ExCom meeting and they're talking about ROPs. Cheryl and Alan talk about ROPs. And I actually titled this particular item in the discussion "Who is OCL and who is CLO?"

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT:

Garth, what is WHOIS?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

There is in fact a plot and you've discovered it. Leadership of the At-Large Advisory Committee is actually limited in an unwritten rule to those who can only have their names shortened to two or three letters. But just to make it clear, I'm a CLO and he's....



EN

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's OCL here, I have another explanation, which is that one of us is

actually — well we're both one in the same person. One of us is a

stand-in that has been hired just for the meeting.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah, well which one?

GARTH BRUEN:

Yes, we have a phrase, "Speak of the Devil," but my point is that you would see these abbreviations and I wouldn't know if it was an organization, a person, an agenda, a document — did not know. As a newcomer this was a hurdle I had to get through. So if we can avoid this, let's try and do it, especially so we don't turn people away. I mean I've also got in this kind of context the concept of building a glossary. We glossaries for technical terms, for ICANN stuff, but what about what we do as a community. Do we have a glossary for that? No. Okay, good.

And in our earlier meeting today we've talked about common language. And by common language I don't mean the business language of English that we use for the meetings, but maybe choosing words carefully that are easily translated and understood across cultures. Sandra? Sandra's just giving me consensus.

So I mean just because having studied myself a little bit of Spanish, a little bit of French, a little bit of German, you see words that do have similar or the same meaning. And if we can hold on to these — to say if you live in a place that has a subway system, a strap that we can hang onto and all go on the same train, it can be useful.



EN

In our meeting this morning we decided to no longer use the term in Spanish, 'debate', we're going to use 'discusión', and in French not to use the word 'débat', but to use the word 'discussion', because it's the same in English — just little tweaks.

NARALO Outreach in our experience, one thing when we found when preparing for this meeting is that our ALS list was not current. That may not be the case in your region. You may be very efficient with this, but we're not being efficient with it, so now we know we have to focus on that.

Getting travel right. In my new role people were bringing were bringing me their problems with their travel experiences, and I know that other people in other regions have had problems with their travel experiences. It keeps getting brought up here that three members of the ALAC were not able to come because of visa issues, whatever they were. So we need to make sure that if we can help as a community with travel issues, that we give our feedback to Staff politely and find ways to fix it, because in most cases when I talked to Staff about it they were able to fix it.

And just one thing, I had the... Heidi has disappeared, but I'd like to see if maybe we can get travel constituency on calls when we prepare for meetings. Is that a possibility, Matt?

MATT ASHTIANI:

Hi, this is Matt for the record. We can ask them, but I can't speak on behalf of another department. I'm sure they'd be happy to help. I



mean Joseph responds to emails instantaneously sometimes, so I'm sure it's possible in some fashion. Sorry I'm speaking so fast.

GARTH BRUEN:

Yes, I just think that even if it's just on one planning call for an upcoming meeting, especially if we have the Summit coming up, that people know that the Travel Constituency is available and not have to go through the extra step of talking to Staff, who passes the message on. Yes, please, Carlton?

CARLTON SAMUELS:

This is Carlton for the record. That's a good suggestion, Mr. Chair, and for the record the Travel Constituency people have done just that. When we have the Summit we did have conversations with them beforehand, so I think all we have to do is ask. And Matt has been too self-deprecating. He was a part of that Travel team and he was very instrumental in responding to the needs. And even now I can tell you sometimes when I have situations with the Travel Constituency, Matt acts as a go-between and has been very successful in helping me, so I want to put that on the record.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Alright, moving along, I invited specifically Dev Anand Teelucksingh to discuss very briefly about the social media strategy. Because in preparing for this meeting I started talking about social media strategy and it was pointed out to me by one of my own members that somebody's already working on this. So I said great, let's all work on it together. Dev, to you. Oh, Glenn first.



GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Before you move on to Dev, just on that outreach thing, how many people have come by our booth? We have a NARALO booth, by a show of hands, how many people came by, and do you know where it is? One person. That's it? A few. We were fortunate to have our booth where the ICANN stand is, right near registration. And we were quite strategic getting people who would come up to us because they wanted registration or they wanted the washroom.

What we did, we asked them where they were coming from first, especially if it was registration. I really didn't want the details on the washroom. So if they were from North America, all of us gave the person strict instructions that they should join NARALO, so we've gone through a lot of brochures here. I don't know how many are going to turn out, but we've got a great team, so please come by the booth. We have a fantastic tee-shirt. Can you talk about that tee-shirt?

GARTH BRUEN: Are there any left?

CARLTON SAMUELS: I'm not sure.

GARTH BRUEN: I want to move things along, so we're going to go to Dev.



EN

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Thank you. Dev Anand Teelucksingh speaking. While the At-Large group on media strategy, the attempted idea was to allow ALSes to share information about the ICANN At-Large not only to members of the public, but also within members of the At-Large structure. So that it's not just the email test, which is typically only going to go to one person in that organization. And then that person has to then be responsible to forward it to persons and so forth. And that could get tedious given the volume of emails.

So the intent was the content typically reserved for the ALAC Announce list — which there's some question as to whether they were going to all ALSes, but it's meant for all ALSes — to be retransmitted on social media such as Twitter and Facebook and possibly other social networks as we add.

And the testing has now been completed and what we've done is that we're using the Confluence Wiki. And one of the spaces on the Confluence Wiki, so that when somebody edits that page and posts it, it automatically goes to Twitter and to Facebook. And I think that's it in a nutshell.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you. I've been heavily promoting Dev's agenda because I think it's very important. And I think it's important that we're coordinated on this effort.

So moving along, this is Garth, into recruiting and outreach. Evan and Wolf have both discussed with me ideas about going outside of the ICANN meeting to find people who would be interested, because people



EN

who are coming to this meeting are already engaged on some level. We need to find the people who want to be engaged and don't know about it. So without further adieu I want to turn it over to Wolf, who knows a little bit more about this than me.

WOLF LUDWIG:

Well, thanks. It's Wolf Ludwig for the record. It's an old discussion whether we stay in our inner circles, whether we always try to convince already convinced people who are already part of the community as beginners or whatever. Or whether in our outreach considerations per region, we think about there are our potential target groups, who are not involved, who may be interested. And there may be different levels among these target groups.

And Evan and I we've basically had an idea a couple of years ago, when we thought it could be a good idea being present at the biggest computer fair of the year, which is in Europe, the CeBIT in Hanover. There is an equivalent in North America. There is an equivalent in Asia. And it's just a question of registering a booth and mobilizing five to six people, possibly from ALSes with a small budget for travel costs, for stay over costs, etc. And then being present at such a fair and talking to people there.

This was just one idea, one option. Maybe at such a big event, there may be a lot of losses of costs. You can circulate tons of flyers about ICANN, about At-Large, etc. And I don't know how many respondents there may be, but there are other events over the year in your region, in the countries. There are conferences, there are seminars, there are



EN

workshops, there are things happening at the university level, at the business level, etc., so plenty of opportunities, we usually don't use.

But it's often also, to be honest, a question of limited capacities. I could easily list a dozen events for a year. But I don't know whether as a volunteer I would always have the time to invest and spend there, besides the four weeks per year I already dedicate to ICANN for conferences, for travel.

And it's of course a question of money, because perhaps if I go to a conference by my own interest anyhow, then I can combine it and make outreach for ICANN at the Council of Europe or at another opportunity. If not, if I have to do it, I at least expect that my expenses can be reimbursed on a basic level. I don't need to be paid for the time, but at least train and hotel stay over, being reimbursed — meals I wouldn't care about.

But this is something essential. When you really want to improve and to systemize outreach activities, then you must make sure that there is a kind of a budget per RALO, which can be used for it. What we do now since about two or three years, we repeatedly talk about the wishful and I totally agree. And I reaffirm the wishful, but please be aware there is one simple factor which is always more or less avoiding any implementation and it's a question of resources. It's not so much my time. I could invest more time for something like this, but not on my own pocket. Thanks.



EN

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you very much, Wolf. That's exactly why I wanted to have this discussion, because when Evan and I first talked about this, it was definitely about the funding. And we found that we had a slight surplus from our budget for preparing for this meeting and we said, "Hey, can we put this towards a different conference?" And Staff said "Well, no, because it's specifically slotted for Toronto." And that's what the mandate for that money was for, so we're going to have to develop a separate agenda to propose this, but we definitely should. And I want to recognize Fatimata.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA:

Thank you, Garth. This is Fatimata for the record. I completely agree with Wolf and I would like to add one more thing. For the first time ICANN is sponsoring (inaudible) for the IGF. And I think this could be taken as an opportunity to do more outreach, but we have to prepare for that. That's one thing.

The other thing is still about IGF. We organize national IGFs in our countries. We organize sub-regional IGFs. We organize regional IGFs. I think those IGF events would be great moments, because we will have people interested in the internet and that will be good opportunities for us to create new ALSes, because the organizations will be there. That would be really appropriate for us. But of course the founding of all this is the resources. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Definitely, and to what Wolf said, I mean if there's a conference in Boston where I live, and I can roll up at that and hand out some



EN

brochures, maybe that's all I need from ICANN is a stack of brochures. If there's a conference somewhere else that we need to fly somebody to, then that's a budget issue. But when we start identifying the proper venues we can figure out what the budget is that we'll need. Olivier and then Carlton, and then Oksana.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you, Mr. Chair. I wanted to speak as the Chair of the ALAC Finance and Budget sub-Committee with regards to the question asking whether any spare funds from this conference could be allocated to something else. There was a discussion. The reason why this cannot be done is because the budget is structured in a way where you have cost centers. And as you know these are additional requests which are granted on a per project basis.

If you want to reallocate the funds to something else, then you would have to basically roll back the clock into when the fiscal year 2013 budget was done, and that should have been put in there. Having to shuffle spare cash or spare funds from one project to another makes the financing and the accounts of ICANN very messy, indeed. You can imagine, because then it would be done for everything, and then you basically would not have a budget at that point.

So that's why they do have to follow a certain set of rules. I don't know U.S. accounting laws, but I think there might... I certainly know in my country, when I had my company in the UK, if you're going to do a budget you have to stick to it, otherwise if you're in a public limited company or anything that faces the public, people will ask questions and say "What is this?"



GARTH BRUEN:

No. Thank you for the clarification. Carlton?

CARLTON SAMUELS:

This Carlton for the record. A couple of things, and I'm going to start off with the question about the budgeting. If ICANN the organization, tells you that they cannot shuffle money between projects, then somebody is not thinking. Governments do that all the time in their accounting, and they're not the best at accounting. It's called variant. That's what they call it in the public service, and in every single public service that I know of, there is a variant routine.

Now if ICANN is going to be global, it must be adaptable. That is to say you have to pick and choose practices from everywhere that best meet the objectives. So if you want to go with the general, the gap rules or whatever they call them now in global financing, then that's one thing. But if it's going to stand in the way of the objectives of the organization, you've got to wheel and come again, as we say in Jamaica. Think it through and do something different.

As far as I know — and I've run companies and run operations — what is important is that whatever you do it must be auditable. You must be able to follow it from here to there and beyond and back. So I am very skeptical about that reasoning. What you don't have is the right [catchment], so create the catchment that is competent to do what is required. That's the first thing.

Now with respect to outreach, there are different levels of this. For example I have had good response from ICANN for disseminating





literature and so on. I worked with Heidi and the At-Large Staff and they have been very helpful in providing publications from ICANN that I have had sent directly to the library systems in the Caribbean. Directly from ICANN to the library systems and they're very happy to get it, and to distribute it in the library system.

So there are mechanisms that are now in place that will allow us to get some things done in terms of publications and so on. What is more problematic is the kind of thing that Wolf was talking about and for that I support what Wolf said 100%. There are small things that can be done at a very low cost.

This morning we had a talk about some of the things that we can do in terms of outreach and capacity building in-country. We've been talking about it for years and they've still not embraced them. For example, the use of the public communication channels, the use of radio, the use of print material. Here is what has not been embraced; the people who make policy and wand to influence are not web surfers. But you can get them on drive time radio.

When they're driving to work, everybody listens to the radio. When they're driving home from work, everybody listens to the radio. The people who make policy and make decisions in the countries that I'm familiar with, even if it's for show they get the daily newspaper every day. Both newspapers are used at the office.

Now we've been saying this for a long time that the approach to outreach, and the approach to messaging, and the uses of the channels for messaging have to be different in different parts of the world and you have to look at the mechanisms more closely. And I still believe



that we can get more from spending less and be more impactful. I just think it's taking a long time for the people in charge to hear the At-Large on this. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Excellent comments, Carlton. Oksana?

OKSANA PRYKHODKO:

I think Mr. Chair, I would just like to remind you once again about the national IGF. This is the best platform to share information, literature, brochures, anything. The most important, we need personal participation and I absolutely support Wolf's mention about the financial support for such participation. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay, if there are no more comments on this, I'm going to close this item and move on to No. 4, Capacity Building. A sub-item I've put in there is about making our work matter. And when I say making our work matter, we're all here engaged in ICANN policy, but each one of us does something else outside of these walls that's amazing. Everybody here is engaged somewhere else, where they do something really important.

And I think that as a group if we can help each other improve the quality of that or the accessibility to it, then it's something we should consider. I mean something I'm doing in my own region is I'm going to start asking much more specific questions about what our ALSes do, and what their work is, and how we as a region can help each other's work. And unless



EN

there are comments on this, I'm just going to move on. I don't have a particular question. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

This is Heidi for the record. I'm just want to remind everyone, or let people who may not be aware of it that each one of the RALO pages has a Wiki page with all of the At-Large structures listed on it with a separate Wiki page. So that's one way that the ALSes can put in information about their work in the At-Large structures, which other people could then look at.

Another aim that we've been discussing, both internally and particularly with Olivier, is the idea of having an ALS showcase on the soon to be updated At-Large website. And that would be something that Sylvia would be working possibly with an At-Large structure that would be selected by some criteria that you could develop perhaps every month or so. And that would be a feature on the main At-Large website to show a little bit about what their activities are, etc.

And I've also heard this from Fadi and the other executives that this would be something that they think would be supportive and would show the diversity and the work that you as the ALS representatives are doing. So that's just an idea.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you Heidi. That's great to hear about. I mean that first item is about at the group level. The second sub-item I have is about the personal level, and about getting full use of everyone's skills as an individual within our own community. And in terms of that, people here



EN

have put in great work in terms of being on working groups and various committees and helping out with specific projects. And not everybody is getting recognized in terms of, I guess you would say promotion.

As officers we do comprise a kind of elite club and sometimes we forget maybe that there are many people within the community who have no funding, who have no means of getting to the meetings other than when they do have an opportunity to get funded.

So I actually engaged Wolf on this briefly and I just wanted to hear about his comments and then anybody else's comments on this — about how we get people who have put in lots and lots of time, who are not officers, who are not part of a funded working group — how do we keep them engaged and coming to these meetings where their work is so important? Please, Wolf?

WOLF LUDWIG:

For the interpreters I'll try this one again. I think while basically repeating what I'm since years. It's like the praying mill. I'm convinced, and the more I'm doing this job, the more I'm getting convinced by talking with members, it's all about incentives — member ALSes who do not see the link and the practical use for their daily work.

That's the reason why I always said, I don't accept talking about inactive members, because I know most of our member ALSes are not inactive. They are very active on the ground, the vast majority of them. Whether this is always linked with ICANN consultations and ICANN agendas is a different issue.





But to be more attractive to people on the ground level and the ICANN level, which is a rather abstract level. These people need opportunities. We have these opportunities. ALAC members have to get these opportunities as a regional leadership. Liaisons, we travel to ICANN meetings three times a year, so this is attractive, this is interesting. This is a real incentive. Ordinary members do not have this.

The last time European ALSes have been to an ICANN meeting was the User Summit in March, 2009. And they were very enthusiastic, they were very close to the ICANN debates and by the years they see a case of there's a lot of expectation from the ICANN side towards the RALO placement and so they say, "Where are our expectations? ICANN is always expecting that we are doing something for ICANN. Shat is ICANN doing for us?" And I must admit this is quite legitimate to ask these questions.

Therefore, for me, I'm rather clear. We were now lucky after the CERT trial we got out next face to face general assembly approved in June, 2013 in Lisbon. And for me, this will be the moment where I really can testify, check, find out what is left. But I can mobilize the majority of our ALSes like before, mobilizing the majority for me always means around 80%.

If you can't succeed at this next year for Lisbon, then I think we can more or less restart. We can try to get them re-involved, recommitted. If I will fail in this mobilizing procedure next year, then I think I have to lean back and then we have to start quite from the beginning. Thanks.



EN

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you Wolf. Carlton has a comment.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

This is Carlton for the record. Look, there is always attention in the ICANN world about value, because quite frankly we have always battled about the perception that we are taking more than we give. And I resent it, because I do spend lot of time in this voluntary effort, and I don't expect to be paid for it. But what I certainly don't expect as well, is for my time to be devalued. And there is a constant battle in the At-Large for your time and effort not to be devalued.

For me, there are two issues. This is important to the region that I call home, because the internet is a development imperative for us. It is avenue in which we are going to improve our economic and social condition, because the traditional ways are not any longer available to us. And as I live in the region and intend to remain living in the region, then I feel I must participate. That's at the first level.

And the second level, there is a very small group of us who actually understand how this thing impacts us, very few of us. And so when we talk about capacity building it's almost like each one teaching one. And I'm sure Tijani and I'm sure Fatimata, you can identify with this. For most of us we wear different hats. And sometimes I am called in to be an advisor to the government, all for free. Other times I'm called on to be an advisor and work with an NGO. I do that every day.

And it is the sum of these experiences that I bring to the ICANN agenda. I happen to understand the technology, because that is the source of my everyday work to make a living. And policy development and policy





structures are some things that are second nature to me. I am willing to volunteer and provide this expertise because the region that I live in doesn't have enough of us to go around.

So what does it mean for us? Well, we can't retreat, because if we retreat we don't have anybody else to slot in place, very few of us. So we have to keep coming and we have to keep doing what we have to do. This is not about a trip for me, because I don't find it attractive to sit for 17 hours in a coach seat, at 6'3" with my knees in my throat. I don't find that attractive.

I don't find it attractive that my daily routine — routines are important to your life, and when you disrupt the daily routines you pay a price. And when I'm in Kingston I have a daily routine. And when I'm out of Kingston, that routine is disrupted. That is a charge on the quality of my life. Nobody recognizes that for what it is, but I have to value that.

Now, I do not begrudge people thinking that others they come because they want a trip. I have spent enough time in airplanes; I can do without another 13 hours in an airplane. When we talk about the role and what we can do, it is simply this, for the region that I call home, we need to attract more people into the policy development process.

And I struggle along with others about the best way to do that. But I want to start with the low hanging fruit. I want to start with the people that I can find who have an interest like me in advancing the public good. And that will take outreach and that that will take some help from ICANN and this where the two things are connected. Thank you.



EN

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you Carlton. I can actually attest to this travel thing, which I think is a little insulting, because in Costa Rica I became very ill, and I thought it was altitude sickness. When I got home and went to the doctor it turned out to be pneumonia. And I actually decided not to go to Prague after that just because of that. I needed a break. And my cousin actually works in Prague and it would have been nice to go there and see her, but coming to these meetings is not a vacation and people should be aware of that.

Now there's a remote question from Matt and then I'll go to Jean-Jacques.

MATT ASHTIANI:

Hi, this is Matt Ashtiani for the record. We have a remote participation question from Fatima Cambronero. Fatima asks, is it possible to create a fund for travel for those that are not officers and are working hard with the RALOs? Perhaps this could be an incentive. Travel could be used for ICANN meetings or non-ICANN meetings.

GARTH BRUEN:

Heidi had actually taken me aside a few minutes ago to say that we could put in a request to fund Chairs of working groups, and that would help spread things around within our membership. Heidi, do you have a comment?



HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, thank you Garth. This is Heidi. You could also as a group or as a

RALO put in a budget request for next fiscal year 2014 for such a fund,

so just a thought on that.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. I'm going to go to Jean-Jacques, and then I'm going to close this

topic. Thank you.

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: Thank you Gath. I feel urged to speak up for two things; one to make a

remark and two to offer a suggestion. The remark comes from my

experience as the first Chair of the Public Participation Committee on

the ICANN Board. And one of the findings during my time there was

that the real issue is not spreading as far as you possibly can, it's more

identifying people who can really bring something to the thought

process and to the preparation of decision making within ICANN.

So it's quite different from the sort of general advertising campaign or

something. And also there is a cost, a human cost in accepting everyone

and anyone, because it supposes training — it's a long process as we all

know, through each of our personal experiences.

So rather than go along that avenue, I would advise that we concentrate

on what is existing, meaning this tremendous network of RALOs and

ALSes. And in a distributive way that means that each RALO or ALS

should be encouraged to detect the rising talent and also to get a better

sense of the regional preoccupations and then bring that the ALAC.

That's one point.



EN

In addition I think that that's where the academy idea is so valuable to my mind because that's one way of channeling it and responding by creating and proposing not an abstract curriculum, but a curriculum which is aimed at responding to people's real questions or preoccupations, and I'm sure that it's being studied just now.

So much for my remark — now a suggestion. There is also a need in addition to training people and all that for the future. I see the point which has been discussed now for more than 15 minutes here, to go far and wide, to make people aware of the challenges of the internet. And also what ICANN does and what ICANN or the ALAC, etc., can bring to them.

And I was wondering, could we imagine contacting the main portals in the world, the main internet portals, say Google — and if we have to pay, okay, we can perhaps think about it — to have alongside the front banner which appears when you click on a browser to have some quick link or mention to the fact that ALAC is the primary home of the internet user.

Because that's what we're really aiming at, it's the disconnect between the billions of people who, to various degrees admittedly, are internet users on the one hand. And the very, very small awareness there is of what we as ALAC and At-Large are actually doing to try to represent their preoccupations. So maybe we have to aim at immediately the single most potent tool on the internet today, which is the portal. Thanks.



EN

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you Jean-Jacques. I know Tijani has his hand up. The next agenda item was requested by Fatimata. I want to make sure she has enough time to talk about it, and we have enough time for Glen, so if you can keep it brief. Thank you. I'm just saying, Tijani, if you can, make it brief.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Sorry. Okay, two things. First of all, I have heard what was said about traveling, people have the right to travel. Why are only those people are traveling? This is an interesting question, but if we want everyone from each ALS to travel, it will never happen. That's obvious. So our duty I think is to find the best one.

It's really a pity that people who are not working, or even don't attend the meetings are paid to come. But it is our duty, our responsibility to find the best one, those who want to work, those who produce, who participate to be in the structures and to travel. But it is I think unreasonable to say that I understand those who say "I am not understanding because I am not traveling." This is the first point.

The second point, if we are speaking about capacity building, I think we need to speak about the working group on capacity building here in At-Large and ALAC and then we have to speak about the ICANN Academy. So the capacity building is something that is very important for all of us and we need to make it a real opportunity for At-Large, because that's the way how to make our AlSes work. If they are not well informed or well, not educated, but I will say well... They don't have the right knowledge, they will not participate and that's normal. Thank you.



EN

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Thank you Tijani. It would help me and the rest of us also because I can't be on 18 working groups. We need to spread it out. It's doesn't help and then we end up with a minority of people who are running everything. So then to move to the next subject, it was requested or submitted by Fatimata. She would just like to briefly discuss using monthly meetings to inform members about the policy issues. Thank you.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA:

Yeah, thank you, Garth. This is Fatimata again. I would like to talk about the experience we're having within AFRALO. We will just pick up a policy issue and talk about during our monthly meeting. But during the last meeting we talked about the issues that are being discussed within ALAC and that we need to discuss within our RALOs. And we're thinking about how do we do that? Will ALAC be able to provide us the subject they discuss early enough so that we can put it on our agenda, or will we do that after the meeting?

Because the thing is it would be better to do the bottom up process, by first having us discuss the issue and then send to ALAC our proposals, our ideas. But I think it would be quite difficult and it will be up to you ALAC members to tell us if that's something doable. Otherwise we will just keep doing what we're doing right now within AFRALO for example.

We'll just pick up one topic and discuss it. For example someone, an ALAC member like Yaovi or Tijani will explain what has been done within ALAC and will provide input, ask questions and that's it. And I don't



think that's true participation. So this is why I wanted to raise the issue here and have you say what you think about it.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you very much. Does anybody have any immediate comment? Please?

CARLTON SAMUELS:

This is Carlton for the record. That's an interesting question. Part of the struggle with you all in these kinds of organizations is that we all come to the ALAC with different skill sets, and even different interests. I will tell you that my interests are probably... Let me give you one for example, I don't have a high level of interest in IDNs. I keep with it, but it's not something you'll see me on the front line with, because from where I come from that is not a big issue for us. I recognize that it is important to other of my colleagues and I leave them to lead it.

Some issues are about matters of timing, because often times the ALAC is in response mode. Something happens and you have to respond to it. And Jean-Jacques here will tell you that one of the things we are struggling to do is to set an agenda that leaves us more time to initiate a policy perspective as opposed to respond to it. But that's difficult; it's difficult because of the way we are structured and because of what people bring to the ALAC. It's very important for you to understand the dynamic of that.

There are two things that I need to say about that. Most ALAC persons get their information typically the same way any committed ALS person would get information. They collect it from the various sources, the



EN

public newspapers, the websites, the Wikis, and so on. So in terms of access to the information we start off on the same page. Where we see the separation is when that information becomes an ALAC issue. And how it generally comes to the ALAC as an issue is that somebody thinks that is important for the ALAC to address. Somebody in ALAC becomes a champion and it brings others into it.

Now, I'm suggesting that because the ALSes — the structure is bottom up and the ALSes are supposed to go through the RALOs and so on — I'm suggesting that that is not necessarily the only way to communicate or to influence the debate, because if you feel that you have an interest in an issue and you think it should be addressed by the ALAC what you can do is to bubble it straight up to the ALAC level, so that others in the ALAC see it. And people on the ALAC who might share your interest can then begin to champion it on the ALAC side. So that's what I would suggest.

GARTH BRUEN:

Very, very briefly because we have a presentation by Glenn. Thank you.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA:

Thank you very much, Carlton. I agree 100% with you when you're talking about relationships between ALAC and ALSes. Here I was talking about capacity building in one topic of interest of ALAC or of the whole community. For example if ALAC is working on a statement, maybe the RALO leaders and the ALAC members from the region are aware of that one, but the community is not.



Here we're talking about enriching really and building capacity of our AFRALO members. So that's what we're talking about really. When it comes to providing input, we'd be able to provide input to the work which is being done at this very time. And if you don't know what is being done, what will be for the next ALAC meeting the subject, it won't be easy to organize ourselves.

And as you said we can pick up any topics and make comment and send it to ALAC, I agree with that, but we're talking about capacity building here. Let me say for example the Trademark Clearing House issue is being debated, so how would we choose? We would have our members to choose themselves? I mean I was just thinking about putting a chronogram of the activities that we would do it. That's it.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Can I just...?

GARTH BRUEN: Very, very, very quickly.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Yes, thank you. This is Carlton for the record again. Yes, the chronology of how you respond to the issue is always difficult, but again believe it or not, it is about personal interests. It's about somebody having an interest and stepping forward and saying here is an issue that we think, and then spending the time. Remember it's voluntary, so you have to spend the time to become familiar with the issue. You have to spend the time to get into the details, get into the weeds and you have to



spend the time to collaborate and find out from other people what they think and so on. It's not easy.

And to me, for those of us who spend a lot of time trying to get behind the issues and being... And I always recommend that. Find an issue that is of interest to you and spend some time in getting to know about it. That is the best and easiest way for you to play a role. Because when the ALAC knows that you are interested and you have issues they will always make time for you. Trust me on that.

GARTH BRUEN:

We'll have to continue this discussion offline and in a different venue, because we're going to wrap up and get ready for the next meeting. Glenn McKnight has a NARALO survey presentation. Please?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you. Matt's going to give me control of the board, so do I have it now? Okay, do I have control of the board? Okay, great. I'll speak closer. Can you hear me now? Okay Glenn McKnight for the record. I had to solicit two volunteers and I got Dana on this side and I'm going to ask Evan as well. So Evan you're going to be the dad, okay? I'll be the guy with the beard. I just want to show you what our problems are as the three of us are Canadians. I'm the first guy.

[background conversation]



EN

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay if you haven't heard I'm sorry, at least 100 times since you've been in Canada, you have been listening. That's my attempt at humor.

Okay, milestones, somebody came up with the idea, and I don't know who it was, but probably they looked at Dev, and everything that Dev does seems to shine. And he did a super job, if you've seen his survey. And we said if he could do it, we could do it, so we commenced it. We created a very short survey, 22 questions. We had a roll-out period and we put a hard stop, and then we pushed it further and July 31st was the hard stop. The full tally at the end was 38 completed surveys and then we went on to do this report.

So we did it in first English and then we had it translated into French and Spanish. Sorry. What was the goal of the NARALO survey? Well, we wanted to gain information some opinions of the existing ALSes, at that time 24. We wanted to gather their opinions of our community. So we started it off myself and Beau Brendler created the survey with consultation with the community. And we wanted their feedback direction on the type of questions, editing on the questions.

We started it first using Google Forums and then ported it, though working with Matt. We thought we were going to use BigPulse, but I think over time we used the ICANN SurveyMonkey. Every single step of the process is documented at the NARALO Wiki, how much time we spend on things, how did we decide and what we did, feedback from the community. And we stopped it, like I said, on July 31st, and here I am doing the presentation.

So we looked at types of questions: how end users use the internet; the awareness of ICANN; the role and function of ICANN; tried to measure



some kind of swat analysis on the strength and weaknesses; and what are some of the issues and concerns. So here's the raw data. I'm sorry.

35 people took this survey. 24 of those 35 actually were committed, and without falling asleep or being run over by a car completed the entire survey. Because as I said, we did it and then we pushed it for another while to see if we could get more people to finish it and there was no other change in the Spanish as you see in the stats and then no change in people taking it in French.

It's hard to read here, but I'll be happy to send this all on to you. So we were asking questions — I'm having a hard time seeing it myself — sorry. I'm going to do it in full screen. And I don't see it in full screen, Matt. Okay, maybe Matt because I don't have my distance glasses with me. Okay so the first question, Matt give me a hand.

MATT ASHTIANI:

Hi, this is Matt. The first question says, how do you find what you're looking for on the internet? And the answer was Google with 76.9%.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you. Again, question No. 2, what is the most important activity you perform via the internet? You can see the spread. Next was the question, do you know what an internet domain name, the addresses for an email and websites are? Goes on, obviously 100% knew that. Question 4, have you ever heard of the international organization called ICANN. Actually not 100% there, but 95%.



EN

No. 5, can you complete the following sentence: ICANN is responsible for — and fill in the blank. So let's see what people were saying. Let's look at question No. 5. Examples of the type of answers people gave, standard stuff: monitoring assignment and use of the domain names; the internet's address and number resources; maintaining the domain name system and IP number system. They had full marks for that.

No. 6, since registering a domain name requires personal information, did you choose to list yours? If so, what information is accessible? You can see the stats. And No. 7, have you ever registered a domain name for yourself, for your business or work? And what was the analysis? 22%, which is kind of interesting. Question No. 6, 22% believe accurate information isn't required to complete a domain name— kind of interesting.

No. 8, if you registered the domain name for yourself, did you list a made up name and address or another name and address that was not yours? And the analysis will come in a second. No. 9, when you registered were you offered a privacy protection service to keep your personal information anonymous? You can see the stats again. And No. 10, did you purchase privacy protection for your domain name information?

Okay, so again, questions 9 and 10 for analysis purposes, a significant number, 56% were offered a service upon registration to keep their information anonymous, and 26% purchased the extra service. Kind of interesting.

Okay, Nos. 11 and 12, did you believe using the internet is risky or dangerous in any way? No. 12, did you know anyone who has been a



victim of identity theft? So going into analysis here, a significant number, 82% believe that the internet is risky, while 77% know of someone who has been a victim of internet theft.

Going further, No. 13, if an internet crime happened to you, to whom would you go to seek help? And again we wanted to know how did ICANN rank in the list of who would you go to break their kneecaps. No. 14, if you became a victim of a scam, or a theft, or any other crime on the internet, would you go to ICANN for help?

[technical difficulties]

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, the vast majority would not go to ICANN for help on the internet

fraud. And again, Matt, you'll have to read it because I can't.

MATT ASHTIANI: This is Matt. What is the most important activity you perform via the

internet? Check all that apply.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay and then the analysis will be next. Okay reality versus perception.

Typical of surveys when people are asked about actual risk of the

internet and their perception doesn't match the actuality.



MATT ASHTIANI: Question No. 15 — this is Matt for the record — have you stopped

certain types of internet activity because of concerns about safety and

security? Check all that apply.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, next slide.

MATT ASHTIANI: Question No. 17 — this is Matt for the record — some people use

internet email and other means to steal money or personal information

by phishing. Which answer best describes your attitude? Question No.

18, some people intentionally register domain names that are similar in

sound or spelling to major brand names, hoping users will thing that

they are on the actual website of the real brand. Has this happened to

you? Question No. 19...

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I have my own version here. I can't see it on the web though. No. 19,

this activity is often called typosquatting or cybersquatting. Which

answer describes your attitude? And No. 20, corporations use the

internet to track certain personal behaviors and sometimes retain

personal information from users. What do you think about this

practice? And No. 21, do you think ICANN is doing a good job in these

activities?

And so let's go through the indicators. From highest to lowest,

obviously the people ranked based on that information questions, they





managed internet resources very well and less so internet governance, even less so policy development and last the internet policing.

No. 22, in what areas do you think ICANN needs improving? In this case we broke it down into whether managing internet resources, policy development, public relations, internet policing, internet governance. And then No. 23, should ICANN get involved in any of the additional internet related issues? Again, some of the things that were asked is investigation of criminal activities, bridging the digital divide, supporting charitable causes, research on internet behavior, and the future of the internet.

Quite a wide range of things that they're asking ICANN to get involved in as well. So when you look at those questions, you have a ranking and people were coming back and saying "Well, the number one thing that ICANN needs to improve is public relations," followed by internet policing, internet governance, policy development, and management of internet resources, which is the flip of where they saw their strengths.

So the ICANN future involvement again, and based on the second question we had there a second ago. No. 1, was the future of the internet was the strongest opinion of the community, followed by bridging the digital divide, investigation of criminal activities, research on internet activities, and the last one, supporting charitable causes.

Okay, so what does this all mean? Well, the analysis on the good side, we found that the SurveyMonkey was a reasonably good tool. It generated those charts for us that you saw. We didn't have to do extra work in order to create those tables. And it was easy, and again, I can send copies to anyone who wants — the survey link should be there,



EN

and this presentation to all those that are here. The survey again, was great to have it in three languages and there was plenty of time I thought that we had for participation.

So the negative or down side — this chart that you see here, that was up a second ago, these are medals of dishonor and they start from the top. You get a medal if you cheated on your significant other, you didn't pick up after your dog, you ate your coworker's lunch. These are all medals of shame that you would get. And at the very bottom you would get a medal if you made up statistics to support your argument. I can assure you I did not get the medal for making up the stats.

So that's where the negative stuff comes in. It was really very low participation — only 38 participants and they didn't all complete it. And again, I don't think we were diligent enough to ask the first question, were you an ALS? We don't know if there were any confederates, to be honest. That's probably just our sloppy way of doing a survey. I assume that the next time we do something like this we'll be smarter.

We had a really wide range, it wasn't a real distinct pattern in a lot of the questions, and the fact 30% dropped off at the 50% mark, doesn't make us happy. And we're leaving the survey with a very unclear next step approach. Next one.

So that's my happy dance that it's over. So I appreciate all of your participation and I'd be happy to take any feedback.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay, I'm sorry, but we've rapidly run over, and I don't want to disrupt anymore of Dev's meeting than we need to. We are going to talk about



the At-Large Summit planning. I don't think that there is much planning right now, except Heidi may have something to say. Nothing? Okay. Alright. Okay. Any other business, please bring it to my attention via email. Jean-Jacques?

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT:

Sorry I'm so slow in reacting, but could someone just say a word about the Summit. In other words could I just take this opportunity to...? Thanks, this is Jean-Jacques Subrenat. About the Summit, I was on the Board when the Summit was authorized or funded or whatever you call it, and I think that since Mexico things have happened. So what would be really interesting is two things.

One is place it in context, because it's partly a new ICANN we're living with now and that'll be even more the case by the time the second Summit comes up. So we have to take that into account, see what has changed, take stock of it, in order to avoid repeating always the same stuff.

And the second point is that perhaps we should use the opportunity to communicate more than was done at the previous Summit, because the previous Summit was aimed at really those people in the At-Large community who were already part of all these mechanics. This time it would be to try to identify new types of population and how do we get to them? So there's a communication problem as well. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Olivier and then Tijani.



OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much, Mr. Chairman. With regards to the Summit there was a small discussion at an earlier session here, with NARALO during the GA that took place. There are several things which we need to prepare for. The Summit doesn't just happen overnight. Obviously we need to have the finance and budget subcommittee work together.

And by the way, I also take this opportunity to ask the different regions to provide people for this budget and finance subcommittee. We have some people that have now left. We need to fill it with people from all regions, basically, not just one or two, but a few more. That's the first thing.

But the budget needs to be built and then of course the agendas will have to be built. And for those people were around when the Mexico Summit was prepared, it was the result of several months of work. I personally was not involved, so I don't know how many months of work, but it was a lot of work prior to that happening.

The aim is to have the Summit happen in fiscal year 2014, so the first thing that would have to be done is the schedule of what needs to be done when, a sort of roadmap, and to start work pretty soon to create working groups to create the material, create the streams, and also of course to create the proposal itself. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Tijani, literally 30 seconds and that's it. We've got to close up.



TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes, and we need also to make a special request to the finance about the budget of the Summit, and it is not guaranteed right now. And for any other business I have two points. The first one is to inform you that AFRALO had done an additional request for funding for capacity building for the ALSes, to complete the face to face capacity building done in Dakar. And it was adopted and yesterday we did the first meeting to kick off the process.

The second point is about this meeting. The agenda that was on the Wiki until the beginning of this meeting is different from this one. And I received it now. Before when we did those meetings, we generally exchanged between all the Secretariats of the regions to decide on an agenda. This time it wasn't done, and I understand because you are new, and you just jumped in, it is not a criticism to you, but we have to think about if for the next meetings. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

I sincerely apologize, and I take full responsibility for not sharing the agenda with everybody. And I'll leave it at that. The next meeting is in Beijing and I thank everybody for their participation today. This has been a great meeting. Thank you very much.

[background conversation]

HEIDI ULLRICH:

This is Heidi. Just to continue, very quickly it's up to the RALOs, the Secretariats if they would like to hold more frequent calls. There was a



EN

discussion yesterday about whether that would be something you would like. We welcome that, very much so. For the next teleconference otherwise, there's normally a teleconference with the Secretariats approximately one month prior to the face to face meeting. So that would be in March, just to let you know. So please let us know if you'd like to have more meetings on teleconference, and we'll be happy to set that up. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN:

That's it. Adjourned.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you Garth.

[End of Transcript]

















